Shortly after the US Army’s bomb disposal program was founded in 1942, it was determined that some form of distinctive insignia needed to be developed both to boost morale and so that military and civilian personnel alike would have a visual identifier for the technicians, especially when they were performing bomb disposal activities.
The Bomb Disposal School at Aberdeen Proving Ground submitted a design for a cloth uniform insignia and Maj. Walter C. DeBill, the acting commandant of the school, proposed the “red bomb” insignia that would go on to be worn by all WWII Army technicians.
• 100% polyester
• Knitted fabric
• Fabric weight: 4.42 oz/yd² (150 g/m²)
• Print on one side
• Blank reverse side
• 2 iron grommets